[Yum] Survey of Use

Erik Williamson erik at cpsc.ucalgary.ca
Thu Oct 23 14:49:35 UTC 2003

> Well with the new up2date supporting yum and apt repository types it's
> not terribly necessary anymore.

So ultimately it's just pointing the up2date client at a yum repo, and
whammo, all is good in the world?  I'll have to give that a whirl.

> eek $25/workstation? What about beowulf nodes - do they count as
> workstations?

ayep.  And so to failover machines, and so do testing machines.
Basically anything that's switched on.  The kicker is this (Not that I
care, but the Universuty group cares): no support with educational
pricing.  You get updates and that's it.  Not that I've ever needed to
call RedHat for help, but they feel it's a necessity.

> Why not fedora core? Don't like the model?

It's looking more and more everyday; but I've been handed a mandate to
only do OS updates every two years.  (That's funny... "You can only
update every two years, but we're not going to give you any money to
help out").  Slightly offtopic for this list, but will I be able to eke
that much milage out of fedora [core|legacy]?

Anyone work somewhere with a bit of a budged that's hiring sysadmins?!?!
  I'm kidding... just frustrated.

Buenos Noches,
e.

e r i k   w i l l i a m s o n                     erik at cpsc.ucalgary.ca
  system admin . department of computer science . university of calgary