[Yum] Survey of Use

seth vidal skvidal at phy.duke.edu
Thu Oct 23 14:33:59 UTC 2003

> I've got yum repos for those who know what's good for them... The
> university IT dept uses the current server I run to patch its RHL
> machines.  Scares me, to be honest!

Well with the new up2date supporting yum and apt repository types it's
not terribly necessary anymore.

> $2500 USD for RH Proxy server (basically an up2date server, bleeccch)
> $25/installation of Workstation when in quantities over 100
> $150/installation of RHES
> $1500/installation of RHAS

eek $25/workstation? What about beowulf nodes - do they count as
workstations?

> Purchasing the proxy is a requirement to get the .edu (.ca up here)
> pricing.  I asked about paying a large annual fee for the whole
> university to get unlimited WS installs with a fee for ES/AS installs,
> but they're standing FIRM.

bizarro.

> So it's looking like fedora [legacy] or Debian.  Bleh, I could go on for
> hours about this. I needed to rant, sorry for the wasted bandwidth.
>
> Seth, are you on the fedora-legacy list?

yep - last time I checked fedora-legacy list was hosted at duke. :)

Why not fedora core? Don't like the model?