[Yum] Survey of Use

Troy Dawson dawson at fnal.gov
Thu Oct 23 13:23:35 UTC 2003

seth vidal wrote:

>On Wed, 2003-10-22 at 10:38, Jeff Sheltren wrote:
>

>>Seth may have a better idea than anyone - but I'm not sure if he's ever
>>done any type of survey of yum users.  Seth? :)
>>
>>Maybe it's just me, but I'd rather have a repository at home as well -
>>it's much better to have the packages download while I sleep and then
>>have them locally than having to wait while they download when I wanted
>>them five minutes ago...
>>

>This  list is horribly biased, I'm sure, but what the heck:
>
>Send messages regarding how you use yum. I did this a few months ago but
>that was before the 'fedora uses yum' stuff and all the fun that comes
>with that. :)
>

>-sv

Fermi Linux as a general distribution uses yum as a means to keep all of
our machines up to date with security errata.  This means that all
installs install yum as well as our yum-conf by default.  This means
that each night they get any security updates we would have put out, as
well as any new packages the users workgroup might have put out.
All of our yum-conf files point to two rsync'ed repositories.  So far,
out of our several thousand users, I have not had anyone even mention to
me that they have done their own repository.  Some of them point at
fedora I am sure and/or fresh rpm's, but none of them have mentioned
putting up their own.  I think that's because so far, ours has been very
reliable and easily accessed.  No-one want's to duplicate the effort if
they don't get any real benifit.
As for myself.  I replicated one of our repositories at my house ... and
I find that I never use it.  I have a cable connection, so I don't have
a dialup, and the machine with the repository isn't always up, so it
isn't always synced up, so ... I don't use it.
Troy Dawson