[Yum] Survey of Use

Jeff Sheltren sheltren at cs.ucsb.edu
Wed Oct 22 22:40:15 UTC 2003

We (being the CS department at UC Santa Barbara) are using yum to keep
100+ RedHat machines updated.  We have a local yum repository including
several group repositories so that we can have certain packages
installed on certain types of hosts.

yum configs and yum anacron files are pushed out using cfengine so that
each machine 'group' has an appropriate 'groupupdate' being run by
anacron.

I also use yum when I need to install an RPM.  I'll just add it to one
of the repositories, and that way I don't need to worry about if I have
all the dependencies or not.

(Also I use it to keep my home machine patched by connecting to our work
repository) :)

-Jeff