[Yum] any way to force yum 1.0.3 to use passive mode with ftp respositories?

nathan r. hruby nhruby at uga.edu
Mon Oct 20 21:10:36 UTC 2003

On Mon, 20 Oct 2003, Alastair Neil wrote:

> Hi
>
> I am new to the list and I'm having a problem with 7.3 clients. I have
> set up a yum repository to patch a number of RH 7.x vintage and RH 9
> boxes.  The repository itself is a RH9 box running only vsftpd.  The RH9
> clients work fine, 7.3 clients,however, are timing out when issuing a
> nslt command for the header.info file.  The problem seems to be that the
> 1.0.3 yum client doesn't use passive mode.  I can grab the files by hand
> using ftp, but see the same timeout if I turn off passive mode.  The
> repository box and the clients are on either sides of a firewall.

Passive mode doesn't work in yum-1.0x and probably never will.  Either make
the firewall deal with active or upgrade the 7.2 boxes to yum-2.x using
the freshrpms.net yum builds (which also includes upgrading rpm on these
machines as well)

-n

nathan hruby <nhruby at uga.edu>
uga enterprise information technology services
production systems support
metaphysically wrinkle-free