[Yum] How to update a system using a cdrom

seth vidal skvidal at phy.duke.edu
Sun Oct 12 22:03:12 UTC 2003

> For my local upgrade (?), I've try to run yum but I was connected to the
> internet (I've just a 33600 connection, no adsl at all, as I live in a
> little island).
> The upgrade process failed, because I was not connected to the internet.
> I've got a message as :
> executing failover method
> Error getting file
> http://mirror.dulug.duke.edu/pub/yum-repository/redhat/9/i386/headers/header.info
> [Errno 7] HTTP Error (CannotSendRequest:

which means it could not access that url - but it does exist - just that
your machine couldn't get to it.

> Same problem here, as the info you give on the Yum web site about the
> jpackage repository is wrong. Yum aborted because of that.

the info I give on the yum website is what I got from the jpackage
website a while back. if it is out of date file a bug against the yum
website component with the right information and I'll get it fixed.

> etrygrab() failed for:
>
> http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/jpackage/direct_download/1.5/generic/free/h
>   Executing failover method
> failover: out of servers to try
> Error getting file
> http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/jpackage/direct_download/1
> [Errno 6] ERROR: Url Return no Content-Length  - something is wrong

right so it got the wrong info.

> [root at celtes2 etc]# nedit yum.conf
> This program is an suid-root program or is being run by the root user.
> The full text of the error or warning message cannot be safely formatted
> in this environment. You may get a more descriptive message by running
> the
> program as a non-root user or by removing the suid bit on the
> executable.
> Cannot convert string "%s" to type %s

umm - that error is from nedit - not from yum. It has nothing to do at
all with yum. It is throwing this error b/c you're running nedit as
root.

> I guess it should skip the wrong repository, to go on the next one.

it does. IF you have more the one baseurl listed. But if it fails,
entirely, to contact a repository it exits.

to do otherwise is dangerous.