[Yum] What are the real debug and error levels?

Nir Soffer nirs at freeshell.org
Sun Oct 12 21:33:20 UTC 2003

 From man yum.conf:

       debuglevel
              debug level. valid numbers are 0-10.  default is 2.

       errorlevel
              debug level. valid numbers are 0-2.  default is 2.

 From man yum:

       -d [number]
              Sets  the  debugging  level  to  [number] - turns up or
down the
              amount of things that are printed.

       -e [number]
              Sets the error level to [number] 0 -  10.  0  means
print  only
              critical  errors about which you must be told. 1 means
print all
              errors, even ones that are not overly important. 1+ means
print
              more errors (if any) -e 0 is good for cron jobs.

So what are the real debug and error limits?

Reminds me the joke about the 10 kinds of people - those who know binary
and those who dont.

I think the limits and defaults should appear in both manuals, or if
only in one of them, a reference should be inserted to the other manual,
like: "For more info see man yum.conf"

I also found that there is no proper error checking for debug level and
error level. You can run yum -d 100 or yum -e 100 without getting any
error or usage message.