[Yum] Feature request(s)

Nicolas Pitre nico at cam.org
Thu Oct 9 15:04:54 UTC 2003

On Thu, 9 Oct 2003, seth vidal wrote:

> So the crux of the problem is over-cluttering the cli with lots and lots
> of more options.

[...]

> you get the idea (other than the last 3)
>
> so how do we put all these in cli w/o driving people insane looking for
> their command?

First of all, your role as a maintainer, especially as yum becomes more
popular, is to say "NO".  For yum to remain a nice tool, you MUST resist as
much as possible adding everybody's requested features.

Also, many features in your example list are things that can be achieved
with rpm directly, so let rpm do what it can do and let yum concentrate on
the things that rpm can't do by itself only.

> if y'all ever seen the cvs manpage, then you know what I'm talking about.

Oh sure.  And so far what makes yum attractive is its simple user interface.
Please don't let that disappear.

Nicolas