[Yum] upgrade and update

Matthias Saou thias at spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.egg.and.spam.freshrpms.net
Thu Oct 9 07:34:41 UTC 2003

seth vidal wrote :

> to clarify:
> yum update - only updates packages you have installed does not include
> or consult an obsoletes lists
> yum upgrade - does updates + obsoletes
>
> I was thinking maybe dump upgrade as an option entirely and include a
> new option - like -o/--obsoletes to include the obsoletes lookup.

Oh no :-(
For me, obsoletes should always be considered, it's a natural thing that
may be very useful and get the user into weird situation if it is ignored
(for instance, a newer "rpm" obsoleting "rpm-perl" in order to get the
latter removed during an upgrade). I understand the reason why you want to
remove it : Obsoletes loops. Lots of us have in mind the gated/zebra one
from RHL 7.3 as an example, but that for me is a packaging bug!

Sure, there will be obsoletes=[0/1] in the config file for the default
behavior, but I really think considering obsoletes should be the default,
and possibly let packagers/users turn it off for distributions where there
are buggy obsoletes loops, as that is something that shouldn't happen
anymore.

Matthias

Raw Hide 20031008 - Linux kernel 2.4.22-20.1.2024.2.36.nptl
Load : 0.34 0.15 0.14