[Yum] Feature request(s)

seth vidal skvidal at phy.duke.edu
Thu Oct 9 04:07:09 UTC 2003

On Wed, 2003-10-08 at 21:09, Jim Wildman wrote:
> On Wed, 8 Oct 2003, Garrick Staples wrote:
>
> > The reason why yum should do it because yum can pick the correct file,
> > and knows exactly where it is located.  ftp/web clients don't know this.

So the crux of the problem is over-cluttering the cli with lots and lots
of more options.

how do we get away from that? to get around that.

commands of yum:
install
update
upgrade [deprecated - most likely)
remove
list
search
provides
clean
groupinstall
grouplist
groupupdate
info
check-update

then an array of options:
-y, -c, -e, -d, -t, -R, -C, --installroot, --version, -o (soon) -h

let's think of all the possible other commands we could dream up:

clone (download all the rpms for the current system)
get/retrieve (just download the requested rpms)
transaction (run the transactions requested in a file)
noop (just to update all the headers or what not)
mirror (make a dupe of the repos provided) (boy this sounds like rsync)
fixdb (check and correct the errors in my rpmdb)
installfile
updatefile
importkey
source
rebuild
fixmycar
promoteworldpeace
cureflu

you get the idea (other than the last 3)

so how do we put all these in cli w/o driving people insane looking for
their command? if y'all ever seen the cvs manpage, then you know what
I'm talking about.

I'm not sure - maybe all the rpmdb modifying commands run from one
script (yum) and all searches/indexes/queries go in another(yum query),
and all the 'meta' stuff (importkey, clean, fixdb, mirror, get, clone,
etc) go in another (yum-meta). And maybe all the source rpm work goes
into another on (yum-source).

Who likes this idea? It doesn't mean all the crack idea get in but it
makes me cringe less when I look at the command line parsing routine.