[Yum] Feature request(s)

Christopher Charles Weis ccweis at cs.uiowa.edu
Thu Oct 9 00:34:37 UTC 2003

My original request was misleading.

I want yum to be able to do everything it already does _and_ do
repackaging... (keep reading)

To achieve this, yum either needs to learn how to do repackaging (which
I'm working on), _or_ yum needs to offer a "retrieve" option, allowing
the admin. to manually install the RPMs with the --repackage option.  I
think we all agree that the former is the better method.

But there are many reasons, of which we don't all agree with, that a
"retrieve" option could be useful.  I think that rpm will regularly have a
new "--blah" option/use that yum doesn't have (yet).  Naturally, a few
users want to use "--blah" with yum and can't, so they'll always want yum
to download the packages so they can then use "--blah" manually.  I think
any of the reasons given on the list so far could be substituted for
"--blah", regardless of their usefulness.

-- Can it be done in better ways?  Yes.
-- Is it an abuse/waste of technology to make yum do things that tools
like wget are so good at?  Probably.
-- Is it easier than using wget?  Probably, depending on skillset.
-- Is anyone forcing me to use yum?  No.
-- Is anyone keeping me from adding this functionality to yum?  No.

My suggestion: if you don't like the idea of a "retrieve" option, don't
code/use it.  If you think it's the greatest thing since sliced bread and you
like writing python better than writing shell scripts around wget, go for
it.  Worst case scenario, we have a semi-useful feature and one of us puts
in a little quality time with python.

~Chris

NOTE: wrapping wget in a PERL script rather than a shell script is
completely unacceptable and should be strongly discouraged.  :-)