[Yum] Feature request(s)

seth vidal skvidal at phy.duke.edu
Wed Oct 8 14:05:53 UTC 2003

On Tue, 2003-10-07 at 17:28, Christopher C. Weis wrote:
> I'm fairly new to Yum, but it's been great for me thus far.  Regardless,
> there are two features that I would love to see yum have...
>
> 1) Support for repackaging old rpms (such as the --repackage option to
> rpm).  This is important, especially in a server'ish environment.

So people actually use this feature? I was under the impression it was
not-terribly trusted and underutilized. I know the scriptlets for
restoring from a --repackaged rpm have had some issues.

Do you want the repackage rpms made or do you want yum to be able to
install them too?

The former isn't too bad, the latter is a fair bit harder.

> 2) The ability to download, but not install, RPMs, using Yum.

there's an rfe in bugzilla for this one. I don't see any reason not to
do this.

> I'm willing to make the changes myself, but I'd like to know if there is
> any documentation (such as method descriptions and flow charts)
> available.  There may be several ways to do this, so  if anyone could
> point me in the right direction, I'd be greatful.

I've used doc strings on most of the non-obvious functions and methods,
You should be able to follow them roughly.

if you want to get the general flow of things read yummain.py main()

good luck.