[Yum] Question on output from yum-arch -d (dependency checks)

Nielsen, Steve SNielsen at comscore.com
Tue Nov 25 18:21:42 UTC 2003

I currently use redhat 7.3. I downloaded the redhat ISO images and copied the RPMs directories from the cd images to disk. I then rsync'ed the redhat updates for 7.3 to disk. So what I have is a virgin kickstart area based on the redhat 7.3 CDs and all the current updates for redhat 7.3 in a different directory. Here is the layout I am using:

rh7.3/
   RedHat/
      RPMS/
   rh.updates/
      athlon/
      i386/
      i686/

In the rh7.3/ directory I ran "yum-arch -d ." to check dependencies.

Here is the output of my run:

Checking deps 100 % completeadding kde-i18n-Ukrainian

Errors within the dir(s):
 .
   depcheck: package XFree86-libs conflicts with XFree86
   depcheck: package XFree86-twm conflicts with XFree86
   depcheck: package python conflicts with tkinter
   depcheck: package python-docs conflicts with python

I have two quesions.

Is something that I should be concerned about? When I run "yum check-update" everything looks good (no conflicts).

I am able to copy over the newer RPMS from rh.updates/ directory to RedHat/RPMS/ directory and make the yum-arch messages go away. How come yum can't properly deal with the conflicts since they are fixable by hand?

Thanks,
Steve