[Yum] Error message from 'yum list'

Stan Man stmn3 at perleasy.com
Tue Nov 25 02:08:42 UTC 2003

Hello,

I am installing a YUM client on several machines. I have been using the
command line 'yum list' as a check for functionality. That seems to work
fine except on one machine and I get this error message:

BACCHUS /root# yum list
rpmdb: fatal region error detected; run recovery
error: db4 error(-30982) from dbenv->open: DB_RUNRECOVERY: Fatal error, run
database recovery
error: cannot open Packages index using db3 -  (-30982)
error: cannot open Packages database in /var/lib/rpm
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/yum", line 60, in ?
    yummain.main(sys.argv[1:])
  File "yummain.py", line 123, in main
  File "yummain.py", line 70, in parseCmdArgs
  File "config.py", line 126, in __init__
  File "config.py", line 249, in _getsysver
TypeError: rpmdb open failed

Can someone give me a push in the right direction to solve this?

TIA