[Yum] Partial Updates

Thomas Moschny moschny at ipd.uni-karlsruhe.de
Mon Nov 24 10:06:39 UTC 2003

On Saturday 22 November 2003 23:35, seth vidal wrote:
> the problem with atomicity is how to behave when it's an automatic run?
>
> yum -y update
>
> if package foo, bar and baz can't be updated b/c of some sort of
> dependency behavior should I fail or should I just warn?

Warn.
Without -y, yum's output could be:

package quux needs xyz = 1.3 (not provided)
foo, bar, baz cannot be updated.
Proceed anyway? [y/N]:
I will do the following ...
Is this ok ? [y/N]:

The option -y means: Answer yes to all (both) questions (if the man page is
right).

> All of the above is about describing expected behavior so the user is
> not SHOCKED when something happens on their system that maybe they
> didn't ask for.

Installing fewer packages than requested should not be too shocking, given
that all other dependencies are satisfied. Yum should output a warning,
though.

  Thomas