[Yum] Faster downloads of headers

Ian Burrell ian at znark.com
Sat Nov 22 23:44:47 UTC 2003

seth vidal wrote:
>>1. Use HTTP pipelining.  HTTP 1.1 allows sending multiple requests
>>before reading the responses.  I don't know if the Python httplib
>>supports pipelining.
>

> keepalive is already implemented in urlgrabber.

Pipelining is different than keepalive.  Pipelining involves sending
multiple requests before reading the response.  It works over persistent
connections.  Instead of request-response-request-response, it is
request-request-response-response.

>>2. Put the headers in an archive.  The initial fetch of a repository
>>would download the archive if present and unpack it.  Later updates
>>would fetch the individual headers.
>
> the headers are going away in the next major version or so, so this is
> sorta moot point.

What are they going to be replaced with?  A single description file?

  - Ian

ian at znark.com
http://www.znark.com/