[Yum] Partial Updates

seth vidal skvidal at phy.duke.edu
Sat Nov 22 22:35:59 UTC 2003

> This solves the problem (I wrote that...), but requires manual intervention.
> It would be nice, if yum could find and exclude problematic packages
> automatically.

the problem with atomicity is how to behave when it's an automatic run?

yum -y update

if package foo, bar and baz can't be updated b/c of some sort of
dependency behavior should I fail or should I just warn?

What if the command line was:
yum -y update foo bar baz

if foo and bar can't be updated should I just update baz or should I
look at the command line and see what the user asked for?

what if the command is yum -y update foo*

should I figure out all matches and see if it's reasonable to bail out?

All of the above is about describing expected behavior so the user is
not SHOCKED when something happens on their system that maybe they
didn't ask for.