[Yum] searching package descriptions

Robert G. Brown rgb at phy.duke.edu
Thu Nov 20 00:06:37 UTC 2003

On 19 Nov 2003, seth vidal wrote:

> On Wed, 2003-11-19 at 16:11, shawnm at noisebox.dhs.org wrote:
> > Howde. Pardon me if this is a newbe question.
> >
> > I am just checking out yum under fedora. I've been using apt for quite a
> > long time. When I am looking for packages under apt it will search the
> > descriptions and show hits that are related. For instance, 'apt-cache
> > search apache' returns 13 responses, showing me packages that are related
> > to apache, such as php and mod_ssl. When I do 'yum list apache' I get no
> > hits at all because the package is httpd.
> >
> > Is there currently a way to search package descriptions?
> >

> yum search foo is the exact syntax.
>
> it already exists.
>
> give it a try.

One note.  yum search is case sensitive.  So yum search apache only
yields two hits, but yum search Apache yields the rest, as the word
Apache turns out to occur as e.g. Apache HTTP server a lot more often
than as lower case apache.

Might be worth adding an option to control this (lots of tools have such
an option) might not, but be warned.

    rgb