[Yum] package glibc needs glibc-common = 2.3.2-27.9 (not provided)

Paul Oehler poehler at nexcess.net
Mon Nov 17 02:00:28 UTC 2003

Hi folks,
Please bear with me, I'm still fairly new to using yum.  Here's my
situation.

When I do a yum check-update, I get this:
<output>
  Server: Red Hat Linux 9 - Updates
  Finding updated packages
  Downloading needed headers
  Name                                Arch   Version                  Repo
------
  glibc-common                        i386   2.3.2-27.9.7
updates
  glibc-devel                         i386   2.3.2-27.9.7
updates
  nscd                                i386   2.3.2-27.9.7
updates
</output>

Then when I do a yum update, I get this:
<output>
  Server: Red Hat Linux 9 - Updates
  Finding updated packages
  Downloading needed headers
  Resolving dependencies
  ....identical dependency loop exceeded
  package glibc needs glibc-common = 2.3.2-27.9 (not provided)
</output>

Here is the output of rpm -qa glibc-common
glibc-common-2.3.2-27.9

I'm not sure what the problem is here.  Why can't these rpm's be installed?
Could this be a bug, or am I just missing something?  What other information
can I provide to the list to be more helpful?

Thanks!!
--
Paul Oehler
NEXCESS.NET Internet Solutions