[Yum] Newbie question

Owyn owyn.tux at sympatico.ca
Sun Nov 16 17:07:43 UTC 2003

On Sun, 2003-11-16 at 00:37, Rick Thomas wrote:
> I didn't think of that!  It would definitely be a neat hack if it works.
>
> My first question is (again) timing:  The size of any particular
> night's download is unpredictable.  If there are alot of updated
> headers and rpms to download, and the "leading" machine isn't
> finished downloading when one of the "trailing" machines starts up,
> then the trailing machine can get into trouble by not having a full
> deck to play with.

You could use a simple file flag to synchronize.

The updating script could be:

touch nfspath/update-in-progress
yum update
rm nfspath/update-in-progress

The other scripts would then be:

while test -x nfspath/update-in-progress
do
sleep 600
done
yum update

> My second question is whether it would work in the case where the
> machines have slightly different configurations.  Yum only
> downloads what it needs.  So if one of the trailing machines needs
> some rpm that isn't in the leading machine's cache (because the
> leading machine didn't need it for its configuration) what then?

Not sure.I am just working my way through yum myself.
There should be no problems with the header cache. There may be a problem
with the rpm cache.

> I still think it's a game for trained professionals.  And then only
> if you're forced to play at the end of a long thin pipe.  For the
> rest of us, Disk is cheap!

Another solution would be to use a squid cache.
It would reduce the impact of a thin pipe without complicating yum.