[Yum] Newbie question

Rick Thomas rbthomas55 at pobox.com
Sat Nov 15 06:04:07 UTC 2003

On Friday, November 14, 2003, at 10:56 AM, nosp wrote:

> For me, I have one NFS directory all the machines can mount, and
> symlinked /var/cache/yum/*/packages and /var/cache/yum/*/headers
> to that
> directory.  I make sure one machine does a yum check-update and yum
> upgrade before all the others, so there is only one writer to that
> directory (practically speaking, though there is a danger).

This is a neat trick, and definitely saves some bandwidth if your
are at the far end of a very narrow pipe.  However, it's not for
the faint of heart!  A lot depends on getting the timing exactly
right, and that's not a trivial task.

It's a game for trained professionals... Definitely in the class of
"Don't try this at home, kids!"

Disk is cheap.  Doing the default thing -- duplicating the yum
headers and packages per machine -- is definitely the safest plan.

Enjoy!

Rick