[Yum] Future feature request...

Carwyn Edwards carwyn at carwyn.com
Thu Nov 13 16:09:44 UTC 2003

seth vidal wrote:

>>I'd like to write a nice library that other programs can use. That way
>>people can write whatever they want, hopefully, with ease and there can
>>be greater expansion and growth in the number of useful tools out there,
>>rather than cramming everything into one tool.

Hmm, maybe I'm digressing. My ideas are maybe more suitable for a tool
that uses a yum library.

Something like a yum shell with tab completion is one idea, or context
sensitive help in the standard CLI:

bash$ yumshell
yum> yum <TAB>
Available command options are:
   repo - repository actions.
   package - package actions.
   transaction - encapsulates commands in a transaction block.
yum> yum package <TAB>
Valid package commands:
   install - intall a package, args: <package name>
   update - remove a package, args: <package name>

This would then fit in nicely with the various ideas to add
scriptability to yum:

foo.yum:
<yum>
   <transaction>
       <package>
          <install>bar</install>
          <update>thing</update>
       </package>
   </transaction>
</yum>

bash$ yumshell < foo.yum # then runs the above this would be equivalent
to running the yum shell and typing in the commands.

The same tool with a direct CLI interface:

bash$ yumshell package help
   Usage:  yum package <update | upgrade | install | etc. >
bash$ yumshell repo help
   Usage:  yum repo <list | query | etc. >

Carwyn