[Yum] forcing to take i386 instead of i686 packages

Eddie Bindt eddieb at xs4all.nl
Thu Nov 13 15:10:04 UTC 2003

On Thu, 13 Nov 2003, Robert G. Brown wrote:

> Celerons ARE 686's -- just 686's with a small cache (think cheap
> PIII's).  Why do you want to run i386 RPMs when i686 RPMs are available?
> They should just run slower...

As far as I know, celerons are 686's that do not meet the 686 specs .. So
they can not be sold as 686 ...

As I have an out-of-mem problem on just 2 machines that by accident are
the only 2 coppermine cpu's I have ... And, as both machines just run very
plain installs with not much to do, I am trying to find the problem in the
glibc combination. On RH72 both machines ran fine .. But, of course that
was a different glibc and a different gcc ...

And, why not use i386 rpms ? i386 binairies are just not i686 optimized
and contain asm instructions for i386 which could be left out on i686
optimized binairies ... And, since speed is not an issue ... who cares
about optimization ?? the machines just need to be online...

> rgb

Eddie