[Yum] feature request for using yum a back end?

David Farning dfarning at sbcglobal.net
Tue Nov 11 22:34:52 UTC 2003

On Tue, 2003-11-11 at 15:24, seth vidal wrote:
> huh? It goes in search order. the yum path is first in the search order.
> if yum were a site-package then it would just change to:
> import yum
> yum.config.someclass()
It works out a little a little worse than that.  If the front end naively
imports config --getting their expected config, that config controls the
namespace.  Subsequently when trying to use yum

in line 817 clientStuff:  from yummain import usage
which causes

line 33 yummain: from config import yumconf
which fails because the originally imported config holds the namespace.

Irregardless of how you manipulate sys.path the subsequent imports of
config find the original config until you
del sys.modules["config"]

The easy fix to this is just to expect the front end developers to use
something other than config.  On the other hand, it might be better
to    rename yum's config.py of yumconfig.py just to get rid of the
problem.

> All the places with a sys.exit() call need to be replaced with an
> exception - elliot peele did a prelim yum exception class that needs
> more expansion.
Great

> it's not actually that hard - but the commandline would become a mess. I
> wrote a transaction handler that takes an xml file of commands like:

Could you forward me your work in that area.

> I'd like to hear what you have to say about searching based on
> progressively more data across the same dataset.

I haven't look at this much at all.  I thought I'd leave that to you
smart guys :) and use what ever yum provides.

I really am too much of a beginner to have an opinion on this.  Give me
a few weeks.

Thanks
Dave Farning