[Yum] feature request for using yum a back end?

David Farning dfarning at sbcglobal.net
Tue Nov 11 16:57:34 UTC 2003

I got yum working as a back end to redhat-config-packages yesterday--see
screen shot below.

Three considerations that would help me and others who would like to use
yum.

1.  The use of config.py.  That is a pretty common module name and
python has a very limited ability to work with two modules of the same
name.  There are a bunch of working arounds but it just seems like a
debugging nightmare waiting to happen.

2.  Several of your functions dump output to a terminal via print.
would you consider adding a mechanism we could use to grab that output.
Something along the lines of a progress=None added to the the function
signature would work if followed by.

if not progress == None:
    progress = 'stuff'
else:
    print 'stuff'

I could detect a change in progress and use it to emit the necessary
signal to update the gui.

3.      I am using following method as an entry point back into yum for
my transactionSet.  Just passing (install ,filename1, filename2,
filename3... in as cmds.

	clientStuff.take_action(cmds, nulist, uplist, newlist, obsoleting,
tsInfo, HeaderInfo, rpmDBInfo, obsoleted)

Now, it would be nice to be able to pass(install: filename1, remove:
filename2, update: filename3) ;) just kidding, that RFE would take
weeks.

BTW, in the nevral.rpmnbynamearch() there is a var 'state' that seems to
always return 'a' --unless I am smashing it somehow.  What is it?  I was
hoping it was a installed flag.

When creating my dataStore I am use the technique below to determine
which packages are install and wich are not.  The conditional
  if namearch in self.localHeaders.rpmbynamearch: kind or scares me as
being pretty CPU costly.   But,
 not namearch in self.newlist return that the unused kernels are
installed.  Any suggestions?

        for namearch in self.remoteHeaders.rpmbynamearch:
            iter = self.packageStore.append()
		((re,rv,rr,ra,rl,ri),rs)=self.remoteHeaders.rpmbynamearch[namearch]

            if  namearch in self.localHeaders.rpmbynamearch:
		(le,lv,lr,la,ll,li),ls)=elf.localHeaders.rpmbynamearch[namearch]

                self.packageStore.set(iter,
                                      self.COLUMN_SELECTED, gtk.FALSE,
                                      self.COLUMN_NAME, namearch[0],
                                      self.COLUMN_LVERSION, lv,