[Yum] Using a Rawhide repository on an RH9 system - yum.conf

Thomas Frayne tomf at sjpc.org
Sun Nov 9 00:15:08 UTC 2003

I tried to set up yum.conf to use the rawhide repository, but was unable
to figure out the interactions among distroverpkg, releasever, baseurl
and updateurl.

I am trying to update the RH9 evolution package to the Rawhide evolution
package, but I have been unable to get yum to use the Rawhide
repository.

I tried installing rawhide-release manually, and could not get that to
work.  Replacing $releasever by rawhide in yum.conf, and commenting out
the [updates] section worked better, but
  yum update evolution
fails with HTTP Error 404 trying to read
http://mirror.dulug.duke.edu/pub/yum-repository/redhat/rawhide/i386/headers/header.info

This file appears in Mozilla, but Yum can't find it.

I have just installed Yum, and can't find any clues in the info files or
Howto.  What should I try next?  Cleaning the Yum directories and trying
again?

/etc/yum.conf contains:

[main]
cachedir=/var/cache/yum
debuglevel=2
logfile=/var/log/yum.log
pkgpolicy=newest
distroverpkg=rawhide-release
tolerant=1
exactarch=0
basearch=i386
releasever=rawhide

[base]
name=Red Hat Linux $releasever - $basearch - Base
#baseurl=http://mirror.dulug.duke.edu/pub/yum-repository/redhat/$releasever/$basearch/
baseurl=http://mirror.dulug.duke.edu/pub/yum-repository/redhat/rawhide/$basearch/