[Yum] way to "fake" package install in yum like apt "Fake-Provides"?

Michael Stenner mstenner at phy.duke.edu
Thu Nov 6 15:38:59 UTC 2003

On Thu, Nov 06, 2003 at 03:28:59PM +0000, nosp wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-11-06 at 15:26, seth vidal wrote:
> > Yah, you can't do that.
>
> Thanks for the quick response.  I won't do an RFE since I think it's not
> likely to be a frequently-requested feature.

Furthermore, it's not likely to be accepted.  It is the firm policy of
yum to never help you avoid dependencies.  For example, there is no
"--force" option.  While there are certainly legitimate uses for such
"features", they are used inappropriately much more frequently.  If
--force (or this feature) exists, many people will use it as their
first response to a problem rather than fixing the problem itself.
We'd rather not provide a tool that makes it so easy to thoroughly
wonkify your system :)

It's a design tradeoff.  Protect the inexperienced.  The experienced
users can get around such problems (either by installing via 'rpm
--force' or by installing a package which satisfies the dependancy).

					-Michael
--
  Michael Stenner                       Office Phone: 919-660-2513
  Duke University, Dept. of Physics       mstenner at phy.duke.edu
  Box 90305, Durham N.C. 27708-0305