[Yum] script run idea

Erik Williamson erik at cpsc.ucalgary.ca
Thu May 29 12:30:37 UTC 2003

Seth, this is a great idea.

I'm wondering:  Whenever I rollout a new release, I'm constantly plagued
with "Awwww crap!  forgot to install <group/package name>", or install
something, but later on down the road, no longer want that package on the
system (compile/install from source, etc).

Thinking aloud, unwise at 6AM.

Could this be used as a method to do a sort of 'system check'? Hmmm, almost
like the package selection in a kickstart config, but with removes, etc.  It
would need to accept the fact that some (most) packages may already exist,
some that are tagged for removal may not be on the system...  A sort of
'template' for the system.  It could be helpful for those of use whose
systems evolve a fair bit over the course of the roll-out.

yum -c http://path/to/yum.conf -t http://path/to/yum.systemplate <action>

You'd need a whizzy action name that says "make me like this template file
says"

Hmmm, this does nothing to help with your syntax question, but I felt a
neuron fire for once, and had to capitalize on it.  Feel free to rip this
apart!

Cheers,
e.

e r i k   w i l l i a m s o n                     erik at cpsc.ucalgary.ca
 system admin . department of computer science . university of calgary