[Yum] Re: Upgrade rpm to the latest version.

seth vidal skvidal at phy.duke.edu
Thu May 29 04:56:31 UTC 2003

> Welllllllll, although I went ahead with it anyway not everyone might
> want to. See below:
> (icarus pts4) # yum erase rpm404-python librpm404
> Gathering header information file(s) from server(s)
> Server: Rogue Red Hat Linux 8.0 base
> Server: Rogue Red Hat Linux 8.0 docs
> Server: Rogue local icarus 8.0 updates
> Server: Rogue 8.0 local updates
> Server: Rogue Red Hat Linux 8.0 updates
> Finding updated packages
> Downloading needed headers
> Resolving dependencies
> ..Dependencies resolved
> I will do the following:
> [erase: librpm404.i386]
> [erase: rpm404-python.i386]
> I will erase these to satisfy the depedencies:
> [deps: firstboot.noarch]
> [deps: redhat-config-packages.noarch]
> Is this ok [y/N]: y
> Erased:  librpm404.i386 rpm404-python.i386 firstboot.noarch redhat-config-packages.noarch
> Transaction(s) Complete
> (icarus pts4) #

oh, right, this is 8.0 - where those things used rpm404 - I forgot.

sorry.

yah - you're right - those will eat hot death.

:(

> One more question, when rm packages does it really need to find updated packages
> and and dload needed headers?? I could maybe see the headers but updated
> packages??

it's kinda a misnomer what happens there.

so when you see:
find updated packages its really just computing the header.info files
from the repositories to the local rpmdb  to see what's what - so at
some level that step REALLY needs to happen to make sure we know what's
what - even for an erasure. The updated package is just a calculation to
see what's what on the system. Is it taking an overly long time? It
shouldn't take very long.

and the downloading needed headers needs to happen if for no other
reason than to make sure you have anything you will need for dependency
resolution.