[Yum] xinetd-problem

seth vidal skvidal at phy.duke.edu
Fri May 23 12:03:55 UTC 2003

> 1. if i use pkgpolicy=newest, install cups from 7.3 original and try yum update, it shows me the version from dulug server, not my own.
>
> ------------------ snip --------------------------
> Gathering package information from servers
> Getting headers from: Red Hat Linux 7.3 base
> Getting headers from: Red Hat Linux 7.3 updates
> Getting headers from: Red Hat d|a Fractales Updates
> Finding updated packages
> Downloading needed headers
> Looking in Available Packages:
> Name                                     Arch       Version
> cups-devel                               i386       1.1.14-15.2
>
> Looking in Installed Packages:
> Name                                     Arch       Version
> cups-libs                                i386       1.1.14-15.2
>
> ---------------- snap ----------------------------
>
> 2. if i use pkgpolicy=last, install cups from 7.3 original and try yum update, it shows my own compiled version.
>
> ------------------- snip -------------------------
> Gathering package information from servers
> Getting headers from: Red Hat Linux 7.3 base
> Getting headers from: Red Hat Linux 7.3 updates
> Getting headers from: Red Hat d|a Fractales Updates
> Finding updated packages
> Downloading needed headers
> Looking in Available Packages:
> Name                                     Arch       Version
> cups-devel                               i386       1.1.18-1
>
> Looking in Installed Packages:
> Name                                     Arch       Version
> cups-libs                                i386       1.1.14-15.2
>
> ----------------- snap -----------------------------
>

> -->
>
> thats the reasen why i use pkgpolicy=last.
> -> but there is another problem, if i use this method, some packages from the dulug update server don't apear in 	the update list. (e.g. the xinetd package). so i can't use the method, as long as i'm not sure about the yum update brings all packages up to date.

That first character on the line explains the whole thing.

That's the Epoch

epoch is a concept in rpm version comparison that overrides
versions-releases

so for example if you have a package foo
and you have two versions:
1.1-4
and
1.1-3

if 1.1-4 has an epoch of 0 or no epoch
and 1.1-3 has an epoch of 1 or higher
then 1.1-3 will be considered newer than 1.1-4

This is something rpm has done for a long time now.

So what yum is doing is this:

it's downloading the header.info files, use pkgpolicy=last to determine
that the last cups* pkgs it sees are the ones it should treat as newest.

In this case it's seeing your cups pkgs which are are always going to be
"older" in terms of rpm version comparison than the ones that red hat
provides, that have an epoch of 1.

does that explain it?