[Yum] xinetd-problem

Joe Cooper joe at swelltech.com
Fri May 23 10:05:54 UTC 2003

stephan.helas at e-7.com wrote:

> Helas, Stephan wrote:
>
>>Hello,
>>
>>i use yum for two weeks now, testing the update mechanism.
>>now i got some trouble updating xinetd-service.
>>
>>i use mirror:
>>http://wftp.tu-chemnitz.de/pub/linux/yum-repository/redhat/updates/7.3/x86/
>>
>>in header.info apears:
>>
>>2:xinetd-2.3.11-1.7x.i386=i386/xinetd-2.3.11-1.7x.i386.rpm
>>
>>but there is no hdr file and so yum dosen't update the package
>>

> i found some answer. if i use pkgpolicy=newest, it download all header files, but if i use pkgpolicy=last, the header don't get downloaded. what ist the yum method to find out, witch package is newer?
> i got some troube with self-made cups-rpm. they have higher number an fewer build date, but yum tell me, to update to the older redhat cups packages.

I've noticed this too, just last night in fact.  yum seems to have some
issues with pkgpolicy=last not always doing what is expected.  For
example, if I have three repositories containing a Squid package, in
this order: Red Hat, My package, My package plus NTLM auth support.  And
then I run yum update on a system that already has the Red Hat Squid
package (which uses an epoch, if that makes a difference here), it will
not update or even download the other Squid headers.

If I rpm -e squid, and then run yum install squid, it installs the
correct package from the last repository.  In other words, it will never
replace the existing package, even though yum has been told to use the
one in the last repository (which doesn't have an epoch, so version comp
comes out in the RH packages favor).

Yet another issue (I guess it's a bug, but it seems almost intentional,
since a sort of the serverids is required to make it work this way) with
pkgpolicy=last is that 'last' is determined by serverid alphabetical
ordering rather than order in the configuration file.  It took me this
long to notice it, because by happy accident, my serverids have always
already been in alphabetical order in yum.conf!
--
Joe Cooper <joe at swelltech.com>
Web caching appliances and support.