[Yum] Weird yum behaviour maybe?

seth vidal skvidal at phy.duke.edu
Fri May 23 01:43:34 UTC 2003

ok I'm confused again

> If I do rpm -qa | grep fwbuilder I get:
> (tigger pts8) # rpm -qa | grep fwbuilder
> libfwbuilder-1.0.0-RC2
> fwbuilder-1.0.10-RC5
> fwbuilder-ipt-1.0.10-RC5
> (tigger pts8) #

you have fwbuilder 1.0.10-RC5 installed, right?

and it looks like you have fwbuilder-1.0.10-RC5 in the repo

so that shouldn't update.

then you have fwbuilder-ipt 1.0.10-RC5 installed
and fwbuilder-ipt 1.0.10-RC5 in the repo

so that shouldn't update either.

you then have libfwbuilder-devel 1.0.0-RC2 installed

and

libfwbuilder-1.0.0-1 in the repo
and oh I see the problem.

you're expecting libfwbuilder-1.0.0-1 to update and over 1.0.0-RC2,
right?

well don't expect that :)

prior to rpm 4.2-0.66 rpm did alpha to numeric token comparisons in a
nondeterministic way.

ie:

if you're comparing 'a' to 1 and you want to see which is greater then
rpm used to say:
a vs 1
a is newer
1 vs a
1 is newer

see the problem :)

now it says:
a vs 1
1 is newer
1 vs a
1 is newer

numbers always win vs letters
so:
z vs 1
1 is newer
1 vs z
1 is newer.

I know jeff johnson reads this list occasionally, I wonder if the
deterministic numeric-alpha comparison patch went into rpm 4.1.1

in short - yum can't do anything more than what rpm does here.

And the reason why rpm on the command line is doing it is mostly luck.
It just matters which one goes into the rpm comparison.