[Yum] Re: yum] Re: yum] Basic auth fails in 1.97, works in previous versions

R P Herrold herrold at owlriver.com
Mon May 19 03:22:52 UTC 2003

On 18 May 2003, seth vidal wrote:

> > Stated, differently, to add Yet Another Place (/etc/yum.conf)
> > with cleartext passwords is sub-optimal.  To use .netrc alone,
> > and to reference the decision in the yum.conf or yum man page
> > is a win.
>
> slight problem.
> 1. we'd have to add support for a new file format parsing mechanism
> 2. it's a file that is ONLY ever used by bsd ftp

hmmm -- perl's Net::FTP and autorpm come to mind as two which
I know also use it and which I use.

> 3. it's an arcane file at best.

heh -- recall that we _are_in the realm of RPM here.  While I
love it dearly, it _does_ use the dbX for database, rather
than nice easy flat and 'editable by pipeline tools' text
files.   So painfully contrary to the 'Unix(^tm) Way' ...

> I'd rather keep the amount of code in yum that only does one thing to a
> minimum. When that thing is external to the process of yum it gets even
> less interesting to write/maintain.
>
> I'm gonna say nix on this one. I don't see .netrc as a gain and it's an
> option that would confuse folks, I think.

<smile> -- Ville came to my rescue, while I was out ... I'll
investigate, test and stabilize a patch for a while.

-- Russ Herrold