[Yum] Re: yum] Basic auth fails in 1.97, works in previous versions

Joe Cooper joe at swelltech.com
Sun May 18 21:50:43 UTC 2003

seth vidal wrote:

>>>1. we'd have to add support for a new file format parsing mechanism
>>
>>I tend to agree with Russ here, and would like to point out that there
>>is a netrc.py module in Python 1.5.2 and later that does the job.
>>IANA[python coder] so I don't know how useful that would be.  Looks
>>trivial to me though.
>

> doesn't work for http auth at all, though.
>
> b/c you could have two different auth mechanisms on the same server with
> http auth.
>
> so machiname foo.domain.com won't be a complete enough match - you have
> to match subdir.
>
> and it is not obvious to me AT ALL that netrc can deal with virtual
> hosting.

If I'm writing the code, netrc aint gonna happen.  Sorry, I'm having a
tough enough time getting the bits I need working, and too little time
to do it in.  ;-)

Russ, Ville, you guys are welcome to have a look at the code when I've
gotten the bits I need working, and do with it what you will.  FTP auth
handling per Seth's request is reasonable, and not all that difficult to
implement (same source of configuration data as the HTTP auth info--I've
got that bit finished, so no extra work).  Of course, Seth is the
arbiter of Ultimate Yum Truth.
--
Joe Cooper <joe at swelltech.com>
Web caching appliances and support.