[Yum] near death upgrade

Troy Dawson dawson at fnal.gov
Fri May 16 20:17:00 UTC 2003

Just out of curiousity, before you let yum do the upgrade, did you check and
make sure your rpm database was reasonable?

The rpm package for RH9, has been known to just forget about large chuncks of
it's rpm datase.  I had my database corrupted once, and tried to update
something simple like kedit.  Well, since I didn't even have a kernel in my
rpm database, it tried to update my kernel, glibc, all of KDE, all of X,
basically my whole system, just because there was only about 10 rpm's in the
rpm database, and those weren't the important things.

Anyway, as an end user, I find that yum actually does a reasonable job of
checking for disk space, and it DOES tell you what it's going to to before it
does it.  You have to say 'yes'.

I do sympathize with you, because I had to clean up that mess, but I have a
nagging suspision it wasn't yum's fault. (Though I could be wrong about that,
I've been wrong about must more important things.)

Troy