[Yum] success report - arch: sparc64 yum-1.0-20030508

seth vidal skvidal at phy.duke.edu
Thu May 15 19:16:14 UTC 2003

On Thu, 2003-05-15 at 14:39, R P Herrold wrote:
> I report herewith success doing an essentially unattended
> 	yum -y upgrade
> (I simply watched it) from aurora-0.4 to aurora-1.0 on sparc64
> architecture (a Sun Ultra Sparc I, with 256 M ram)
> [ http://www.auroralinux.org/ ], in support of our Wings
> product [ http://www.owlriver.com/support/wings/ ].  I have
> ported a large percentage of our packagings and Red Hat
> RawHide current -- over 200 SRPMs -- with our autobuilder,
> overnight, as I slept.
>
> [herrold at dhcp-4 herrold]$ uname -a
> Linux dhcp-4.victim.lan 2.4.20-2.3sparc #1 Wed Jan 15 18:27:52
> 	EST 2003 sparc64 unknown
>
> Screenshot: http://www.owlriver.com/support/wings/sparc-xfce.png
>
> There is a minor matter (already Buigzilla'ed) related to
> adding recognition of the 'silo' bootloader, and getting
> /etc/silo.conf updated:

So:

 - cool screenshot
 - glad it works on sparc
 - have you told the aurora people? I'm sure spot will like to see that
too.
 - I want to move the kernel stuff slightly out of yum anyway - to make
it more flexible and not just kernel specific.
   - so the best thing to do for the kernel would be to write a small
script that can take a handful of information (probably kernel, name,
ver, etc) and add it properly to the silo.conf file then test and invoke
silo.