[Yum] Yum client aborts when file protocol is used

Danilo Camara dfcweb at jts.br
Sun May 11 00:13:28 UTC 2003

I set up a HTTP Yum server and it is working fine. But in the server, I
can not run Yum client with file:// protocol URL. What I get is:

----------

# yum list updates

Not using ftp or http for servers, Aborting -
file:///home/Packages/Linux/RedHat/8.0/

----------

The path is right, and in the yum.conf man page says I can use file://
protocol. If I change the protocol to http:// the Yum client works fine
in the server.

Any sugestions?

Also, I think it just took too long to download all the needed headers,
even the client and the server being the SAME machine. I know there is a
lot of HTTP overhead when you download MANY small files, but more than 1
second for each file was too long. (The CPU reported average 90% idle
time during download).

Did I miss something?

Thanks

My /etc/yum.conf file: