[Yum] Re: yum] new daily for 1.x and 2.x

Michael Stenner mstenner at phy.duke.edu
Thu May 8 17:01:27 UTC 2003

On Thu, May 08, 2003 at 06:48:35PM +0200, Axel Thimm wrote:
> On Thu, May 08, 2003 at 10:06:12AM -0400, seth vidal wrote:
> > The let me rephrase:
> >
> > 1.97+ is for rpm >= 4.1.1 and python2.x
> > 1.0 is for rpm <=4.0.4 and python >= 1.5
> >
> > how's that?
>
> There was a patch by Michael Stenner back in March (in the keepalive code),
> that made the "2.0" versions compatible to the older python. Does it still
> apply to the newer releases?

That made the yum 2.x version of keepalive.py compatible with python
2.2.1 (when it was written for python 2.2.2).  Yum 1.x uses python
1.5.2.  Furthermore, that really only addressed one small issue in the
keepalive code.  It was by no means a comprehensive yum patch.

The problem is that so many things vary from RHL 7.x to RHL 9 (python,
and rpm being the biggies) that it's really hard to treat them all.
It may have been possible to deal with them nicely and still maintain
a single distributed version (the urlgrabber.py file does this, but it
doesn't have to worry about rpm, only python) but you're just trading
one kind of pain for another.  Either you deal with two similar code
bases (and make most changes twice) or you have one code base that you
pack full of 'if' statements and derived classes.

It may be worthwhile to try and avoid future divergence, but I
completely agree with seth's choice to maintain two separate yums for
7.x and >= 8.0.  It would be far far far (FAR) too painful to
recombine them now.

hhmmm... wandered a bit there, didn't I? :)

					-Michael
--
  Michael Stenner                       Office Phone: 919-660-2513
  Duke University, Dept. of Physics       mstenner at phy.duke.edu
  Box 90305, Durham N.C. 27708-0305