[Yum] new yum install no worky

seth vidal skvidal at phy.duke.edu
Sun Mar 30 21:21:38 UTC 2003

On Sat, 2003-03-29 at 23:54, Anthony Baldwin wrote:
> Okay,
> I downloaded the yum rpms and installed them.
> Then I did
>  >yum-arch /etc/src/redhat/RPMS
> Then I did
>  >yum list updates
> and I got:
> [tony at localhost tony]$ yum list updates
> Gathering package information from servers
> Getting headers from: Red Hat Linux 8.0 base
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "/usr/bin/yum", line 44, in ?
>     yummain.main(sys.argv[1:])
>   File "yummain.py", line 141, in main
>   File "clientStuff.py", line 643, in get_package_info_from_servers
> OSError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: '/var/cache/yum/base'

1. your yum-arch path has nothing to do with your conf repository
entries.
2. you are probably running this as a user not as root and haven't built
up the cache yet

so
run yum list updates as root.

see if it works better for you - if not then the dir /var/cache/yum does
not exist - and then i'd wonder how you installed the system.