[Yum] zero server-side support

garrick garrick at usc.edu
Fri Mar 28 05:12:23 UTC 2003

Hi all,
   I just wanted to ping the list about yum support for building
header.info "on the fly" and downloading the rpm headers directly from
the rpm files.  This basicly means yum wouldn't require anything at all
on the server-side, so it would work with any arbitrary directory of
rpms somewhere on the Inet.

   headers.info would be created by reading a directory listing for
local and ftp directories, and html parsing for http directories.  And
before you say that html parsing would be difficult, just look at:
     lynx -source http://mirrors.usc.edu/pub/garrick | \

   The only downside is that things might slow down a bit, but I don't
think it would be drastic.  It would certainly be possible to make this
only a fallback behavior iff the headers/ directory didn't exist.