[Yum] Re: Is there a better way??

seth vidal skvidal at phy.duke.edu
Sat Mar 22 00:13:39 UTC 2003

> I do not think this is really a problem with yum. I do however think it
> will help because the couple of times I have run yum by hand and gotten
> borked downloads it was caused by the ftp server timing out and only
> doing a partial download. The next time yum is run it sees the borked
> file and yum barfs. Of course pruning the borked file and down loading
> it again fixes the problem. I am assuming that is what is happening
> when yum is run from cron.

right - my goal would be to probably implement two things
1. the retrying thing
2. maybe a command "yum sanitycheck" - so it runs through and
sanitychecks all the headers, throws out old ones, etc.

> I agree it does sound like a hack. Would that really help though? I
> thought in addition to pruning the __db files the db needed rebuilt?
>
> I agree this is a Red Hat/rpm problem. I know Jeff Johnson has test packages
> out there for rpm. I also know he is getting a lot of heat of late for
> rpm segfaulting. Hopefully he will have a good fix for rpm and this
> will be a non problem for yum.

Well I talked to jeff some about this - he seemed to tell me that I
should indeed just rm the __db files before a write operation in yum
until the NPTL stuff get settled out.

If he wasn't being sarcastic it's not terribly hard to unlink those
files right before the ts is run.