[Yum] Re: Is there a better way??

Tom Diehl tdiehl at rogueind.com
Fri Mar 21 22:37:45 UTC 2003

On 21 Mar 2003, seth vidal wrote:

> Icon and I were talking about this yesterday.
>
> wrt to the corrupted headers/rpms problem - I'm going to work on making
> yum do the following:
>  download header, check it, retry up to 3 times to get a valid header
> from the server - if it fails 3 times then exit with useful errors
>  ditto with rpms - if it fails and md5sum check 3 times then its
> seriously horked.
>
> Will that help? That should ameliorate the problem - It baffles me how
> often these sort of errors occur though. I don't think I'm doing
> anything wrong in the code for downloading files - there just isn't that
> much to do wrong.

I do not think this is really a problem with yum. I do however think it
will help because the couple of times I have run yum by hand and gotten
borked downloads it was caused by the ftp server timing out and only
doing a partial download. The next time yum is run it sees the borked
file and yum barfs. Of course pruning the borked file and down loading
it again fixes the problem. I am assuming that is what is happening
when yum is run from cron.

> The corrupt rpmdb, seems to be an rpm problem and I'm not sure how to
> answer that. I guess I could add a routine to prune the __db files but
> wow does that seem like a hack.

I agree it does sound like a hack. Would that really help though? I
thought in addition to pruning the __db files the db needed rebuilt?

I agree this is a Red Hat/rpm problem. I know Jeff Johnson has test packages
out there for rpm. I also know he is getting a lot of heat of late for
rpm segfaulting. Hopefully he will have a good fix for rpm and this
will be a non problem for yum.

Maybe I will just have Big brother watch this for me. At least I would
get notified when yum got stuck.

--
.............Tom	"Nothing would please me more than being able to
tdiehl at rogueind.com	hire ten programmers and deluge the hobby market

   			We are still waiting ....