[Yum] Kernel upgrade ?

seth vidal skvidal at phy.duke.edu
Tue Mar 18 05:40:41 UTC 2003

On Tue, 2003-03-18 at 00:35, Tom Diehl wrote:
> Hi,
> Is there a way to get yum to _not_ set a newly installed kernel as the default
> in grub? I have several machines that need modules rebuilt when the kernel
> is upgraded. On those machines I would like the new kernel installed but
> I want the old one to remain the default in the grub.conf file until I
> get around to rebuilding the modules.
>
> In case I am not clear I am looking for the same behaviour that one gets
> if you do an rpm -ivh kernel.rpm.
>
> I looked at the docs but did not see anything. :-(
>
> TIA,

there is not a way to do that currently.  a loooooooong time ago someone
asked for a "newkerneldefault" option in the conf file and I think I
just forgot about it.

You just reminded me.

the thing that makes the new kernel the default is handled in lilocfg.py
and grubcfg.py - the grub one is bleeding obvious and simple to case
around.

i'll need to spelunk through the lilo one to figure out how to add the
kernel but not make it a default.

out of curiosity is there anyone out there still USING lilo?

grubby is sooooooooooooo nice :)