[Yum] Multiple Repository Hell

Tom Diehl tdiehl at rogueind.com
Thu Mar 13 03:43:04 UTC 2003

On 12 Mar 2003, seth vidal wrote:

> > RFE again: Could I please have an 'arch' and RH version as
> > environmental variables for yum, and I'll deliver a more
> > general solution in very short order.
>
> Environment variables used where?
>
> Is this so you could put $ARCH and $RHLVER in the config file and have
> it get them from the environment?
>
> The arch sounds reasonable - I'm still somewhat sketchy about making a
> rhlver option.
>
> What if it were something like this - a config option - defaulting to
> None that allowed you to set which package's version determined your
> os/distro version.
>
> ie: redhat-release, yellowdog-release, asplinux-release, etc
>
> That way it wouldn't be binding to only red hat's ver number.

I am thinking a good use of this is so that we could get the RHL ver from
rpm and use that to determine which repository to use. Is this what you
are suggesting above. One of the few downsides I currently see with yum
is that if I upgrade the distro I have to reconfigure yum. I have used
other updaters that handle that for me by using the info in rpm and
that way the upgrade is transparent to yum. If you can make that somehow
distro independent that would be a "Good Thing" (tm) I think.

When I say the info in rpm I am talking about the following:
redhat-release-8.0-8

Does this make sense or am I missing something??

--
.............Tom	"Nothing would please me more than being able to
tdiehl at rogueind.com	hire ten programmers and deluge the hobby market

   			We are still waiting ....