[Yum] Multiple Repository Hell

R P Herrold herrold at owlriver.com
Wed Mar 12 15:58:51 UTC 2003

On 12 Mar 2003, seth vidal wrote:

> Environment variables used where?

expanded by yum at runtime, according to rules stated in the
man page __or__ passed thru if present [the passthru allows
for overrides in chroot environments], and available to
yum.conf for expansion -- we already have this externally in
the shell

> Is this so you could put $ARCH and $RHLVER in the config file and have
> it get them from the environment?

Yep -- Presently a bit of external scripting is used to take
this approach, and dinking with the distributed config files:

   yum -c http://www.owlriver.com/support/yum/yumconf.php?ver=$RHLVER

where the environment has the equivalent of
   export RHLVER="8.0"

... yes -- so that yum.conf could use a construct like:

            [serverid]
              name=Some name for this server
              baseurl=http://www.owlriver.com/support/yum/yumconf.php?ver=$RHLVER
              gpgcheck=[1|0]

as well -- it cleans up cron within your base release.

The yum.conf thought were inspired by:
https://lists.dulug.duke.edu/pipermail/yum/2003-February/000562.html

webpage at: http://www.owlriver.com/support/yum/ updated to
clarify this

> The arch sounds reasonable - I'm still somewhat sketchy about making a
> rhlver option.
>
> What if it were something like this - a config option - defaulting to
> None that allowed you to set which package's version determined your
> os/distro version.

works for me -- but I would use 'null' rather than 'none' as a
matter of nomenclature -- it HAS a distributor, although it
may not be known to yum's then existing parsing rules.

> ie: redhat-release, yellowdog-release, asplinux-release, etc
>
> That way it wouldn't be binding to only red hat's ver number.

WORKS4ME

-- Russ Herrold