[Yum] yum upgrade <options>

Troy Dawson dawson at fnal.gov
Wed Mar 12 15:16:04 UTC 2003

seth vidal wrote:
>>Anyway, I'm sure there is a reason that you don't have any package options on
>>yum upgrade, but if those reasons are trivial, we would like to request being
>>able to do 'yum upgrade [package]'
>

> So let me make sure I understand how you want this to work.
>
> user X says:
>  yum upgrade foobar
>
> they want it to see if foobar is obsoleted somewhere and push what
> obsoletes it in for install/update?
>
> Is that the goal?

Yes, mostly.
They want it to see if foobar is obsoleted somewhere and push what obsoletes
it in for the install/update, but if it isn't obsoleted, but only updated,
then just to update foobar.

so if you have
foobar-1.0 -> installed
and
foobar-1.1 -> repository
fembot-6.6 (obsoletes foobar) -> repository

yum upgrade foobar
would replace foobar 1.0 with fembot 6.6

But if you have
foobar-1.0 -> installed
and
foobar-1.1 -> repository

yum upgrade foobar
would just replace foobar 1.0 with foobar 1.1

Troy