[Yum] Multiple Repository Hell

Troy Dawson dawson at fnal.gov
Wed Mar 12 14:46:15 UTC 2003

seth vidal wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-03-11 at 17:11, Troy Dawson wrote:
>

>>We didn't think all of this up at once, it's been several years that evolved
>>into this format, but it works quite well.
>>

> Two comments:
>
> 1. has anyone ever considered needing something like a web-driven/db to
> store hostname/yum.conf that could be editable by admins, so that when
> host12345 connects to a cgi script it gets back a customized yum.conf
> for it.

We as the distribution managers have no plan to do that.  This distribution
goes around the world and we have no control over who installs it an what the
host names are.  We only get our numbers as to how many users there are by
counting unique ID's for when people yum into the update repository.

It's been thought about by our farms workgroup maintainers, but that will be
completely up to them.

> 2. Several years that evolved into this format? Several years?? /me does
> a quick check on the lifetime of yum so far... Hmm you guys at fermi
> working with flux capacitors now-a-days? ;)

When I say it took several years for this to settle into place, I'm meaning
the distributions and workgroups.  The yum section is just the final brick in
the wall.  (Actually probrubly not the final brick, just a major brick)
We've (mainly Connie Sieh who you occasionally see post here) been doing this
since RedHat 5.0, so the evolution started back then.

Troy