[Yum] Multiple Repository Hell

Robert G. Brown rgb at phy.duke.edu
Tue Mar 11 23:34:23 UTC 2003

On 11 Mar 2003, seth vidal wrote:

> > Well, you SORT of started with yup, a bit, until it proved insanely
> > incomplete and unmaintained...

> > years.
> >

> no no no. We were using yup - but I didn't write it - I hacked on it a
> little bit.
>
> it was written by the YellowDog Linux folks - I believe Dan Burcaw was
> lead there.
>
> Adrian Likins and Jeremy Katz  of Red Hat fame also hacked on it some to
> make all sorts of things happen.

I just meant that the IDEA for some of what yum did came from what yup
did, so that yum did not spring fully formed from your brow, however
impressive that brow might be...:-)

So while you were using yup you were figuring out what sucked and what
could be done better and what was good, so yum's basic parameters were
in part inherited from yup-experience.

Stealing from yup and rewriting it into yum is in the best tradition of
open source software anyway.  I wasn't trying to take credit from the
yupvolken, rather I was pointing out that yum inherited some of yup's
history and features, in whole cloth, even though by now you probably
have very little to no lines of yup-original code in it (I don't
remember, did you start yum from scratch or use the yup code as a
jumping off point)?

   rgb