[Yum] yum requires perl?

Smith, Eric V. ericsmith at windsor.com
Mon Mar 3 15:21:28 UTC 2003

I'm attempting to install yum-0.9.4-2_8x.noarch.rpm on a RedHat 8.0 box.
rpm tells me that yum requires perl.  Why would that be the case?  I'm
trying to build a box without perl.  I've installed the source rpm and I
don't see anywhere that perl is actually used.

Is perl really required?  If not, is my best bet to rebuild the rpm from
source without the perl reference, or is there a newer version I should
be using?

I've searched the yum mailing list and googled, but I can't find any
reference to this.

Thanks for any help.

Eric.