[Yum] yum question

Stephen Arden arden at us.ibm.com
Fri Jun 27 19:36:05 UTC 2003

I hate to break down and ask for help, but I am not a python person and
don't know if I am getting an error from yum, python, from something I
misconfigured, or if I just simply forgot to install something.

I am trying yum as a component of a site for installing software. I would
put product on an ftp site and run yum-arch to create the headers. Someone
who wants the software and wants to make sure all the dependent packages
get installed at the same time would first install yum and obtain my
yum.conf file. The conf file points to my server first and then one of the
publicly available yum servers.
Then, in theory, when you try to install something, yum goes to my server,
finds the RPM, checks the dependencies, grabs the dependent RPMs off my
server or the public server, and everything works just fine.

So to test this, I built a dumb little rpm with an equally dumb
dependency, put it on my ftp site, ran yum-arch, went to the client, and,
well, it did find the packages and resolve the dependencies, but then I
got the stuff below instead of a set of installed RPMs.

If anyone has any ideas, I would appreciate hearing from you.

BTW, the yum-arch command ran without error and produced a header
directory that has about what I expected in it.

Thanks

Steve